Not so long ago the best form of marketing for small businesses and large corporates alike was The Yellow Pages. To support a Yellow Pages ad, businesses may place advertising in local papers, printed flyers or, if times were good, a radio ad. How times have changed.
In this age of instant communication and social media, digital marketing has a distinct edge over traditional marketing. Digital marketing is an umbrella term for the marketing of products or services using digital technologies. This includes the internet, mobile phones, display advertising, social media and any other digital platform.
For businesses that have been operating for a long time, understanding the new marketing landscape can be difficult. Only last week we were contacted by a small company paying large fees to ‘rank/place’ highly on the Yellow Pages website. For those of us that understand SEO and Social Media, a high placement on The Yellow Pages website is a bit of a head scratcher. It’s like searching on Google for Bing and performing another search within Bing. Yep. Confusing.
Online Marketing Perth
There are many digital marketing channels and all have their strengths. From social media to Google AdWords, every channel plays their part.
- Local backlinks: A backlink is a link one website gets from another website. Backlinks can have a major impact on a website’s presence and search engine ranking, which is why they are very helpful when striving to improve a website’s SEO ranking.
- Search engine ads: You can pay a search engine to gain a specific placement in certain search results. Your ad will take priority over other results, bringing more traffic to your website, and therefore gaining you a greater online prominence. It can be very useful for up and coming business’ that are not very well known yet, or if there is a lot of competition for the search term being used.
- Online pop ups: Pop ups are the little boxes that pop up or out at you whilst you’re surfing the web. Their purpose is to provide a strong call to action within the audience. This action may be a sale you want the reader to know about or to collect an email address. Either way, you are creating another opportunity for a customer to click through to your website.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): If your ad is ranked at the top of a search engine you are more likely to receive clicks than your competitors. If your site has been optimised to appear higher in search engines, and a customer enters in keywords that will trigger your site to appear, they are more likely to see it first and click on it. The more valid the keywords are, the more time they will spend on your website; reading content, browsing products and getting to know your services.
- Blogs: Blogs, like this one, provide a space for businesses to post content and information in an informal or conversational style. They help to drive traffic back to your actual website, and then convert that traffic into leads. Posting content that includes a lead generating call-to-action will help to create new customers left, right, and centre, and keep them in for the long haul.
These digital marketing strategies can take your ‘never ever heard of business’, to the very tip top of search engines and in front of qualified leads. Whilst traditional marketing does have its place even now, the most effective strategy is to take full advantage of the online marketing opportunities. Talk to Start today about how we can help with your Perth online marketing strategy.